Tuesday, June 29, 2021

KDTime: "In My Own Words" Analysis

 Episode Twenty Three

It is no secret I love NE-YO and I've talked about him in other episodes so this is not the first time his name has been mentioned on the show. This episode is specific to him and his first album. When I first heard "Stay" I was hooked and everyone and I mean everyone pinned NE-YO and Chris Brown against each other because they came out around the same time with similar vibes. Chris Brown was young and could dance really well like Michael Jackson. NE-YO can dance, but his style of dancing is more of a form of ballroom with a few twists. This is my opinion and not at all factual. It's just what I think NE-YO's dancing looks like. Anyway... It's been over 10 years that I've enjoyed and loved his music. I buy every album and listen to them to exhaustion. 


One of my best friends pointed out that I usually learn the lyrics to the music within the first run through of listening to the newest album. And I mean how could I not. Anytime we listen to a new album we know exactly which songs grab our attentions in the beginning. I usually pick a couple songs off the first listen and become obsessed and then I'll listen to all more times because after some time you find the hidden gem in the songs.

First album "In My Own Words" to me was a complete story. I'll tell you why and follow me on this. From the very first song we get an insight in what kind of journey we are about to partake. It starts off decently and takes a couple dips on the rollercoaster. But the title of the album is "in my own words" so we know from the beginning we are hearing NE-YO's side of the story.

Here's an excerpt from the show:

"In “Sexy Love”, like I said I was in love with this song when it came out. I was glued to the TV for when the music video was going to come out and I was beyond happy while listening to this song. It just flows so nicely and it makes you think you could fall in love and be so blissfully happy. In this song you can tell he sounds so deeply in love with his girlfriend and would risk eviction notices because they were basking in one another’s love. He doesn’t want to do anything but be with her and as lovely as that sounds it's unrealistic but sometimes you just wish a love like this would come knocking on your door. He is beyond disconnected to the world and looks so happy he can’t think of anything else. But things don’t last forever in this album because here we go again."

No comments:

Post a Comment

KDTime: Imagine Listening with Ricardo Martinez

  Episode 89 Being a 911 dispatcher is like being the calm in the chaos, the voice of reason in moments of panic and distress. Every day bri...