Wednesday, June 23, 2021

KDTime: Big Up Big Up

Episode Fifteen

Before I published this episode, I noticed that my podcast was being listened to all over. I was super excited for the accomplishment and super encouraged to keep it going. Countries like Germany, Ireland, UK, and Hong Kong were listening to me. I am so grateful that people were listening to me and also very nervous but thankful nonetheless.

In this episode, I talk about myself and a give you all an insight into my life as a Caribbean American living in NYC. I know every experience is different, but also very similar at the same time. I'm fully American both my parents were born in NYC and raised there just like myself. Even though I was raised in NYC it did not stop me from learning about my heritage and ethnicity. 

Here's an excerpt from the episode:

"Now I’ll talk about some of the stereotypes that are said but are NOT true. Some like jamaican people aren’t friendly, I am very friendly so there’s that. Also, just like all people not everyone is friendly, and sometimes people don’t want to be bothered and if you’re bothering someone that doesn’t want to be bothered it's pretty obvious they won’t be very friendly towards you. It also depends on the person and how they are feeling at any given point of the day. Another stereotype is that all Jamaicans smoke weed/marijuana and that’s not true either. Everyone is a Rastafarian. False, where do they get this from? Jamaicans only listen to reggae. Well this is like half true in my personal opinion. It was always funny to watch the Jamaicans at a party. some would get so upset that Soca was playing but again i love all music. And a lot of Jamaicans love american music too. Jamaicans speak only patois NOPE. I’m talking to you right now. Also, if people did a smidge of research they would learn that a lot of jamaicans speak english some more properly than americans. Jamaicans are lazy… I know Jamaicans who have multiple jobs. If anything I’ve heard the exact opposite where the stereotype is a Jamaican is always working. They do too much, they have so many jobs."

If you are a Caribbean person you already know some of the things aforementioned. If not, you can decide for yourself. One thing you shouldn't do is judge before actually getting to know a person. I think if anything this year has taught us is that you can NOT clump people into one group and say they are all the same because that is absolutely not true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

KDTime: Imagine Listening with Ricardo Martinez

  Episode 89 Being a 911 dispatcher is like being the calm in the chaos, the voice of reason in moments of panic and distress. Every day bri...